The Hippasus Blog

How Israel breached the ceasefire, to set up an invasion

Posted in Uncategorized by pifactory on January 1, 2009

ISRAELI propaganda is making much of the Hamas breach of the June-December Gaza ceasefire with rocket-fire into southern Israel. What is not being discussed — nor reported on — are Israel’s own breaches of the ceasefire, which left at least seven dead, homes bulldozed and women blind-folded and abducted… and set up the current attack on Gaza.

These incursions provoked the rocket attacks that are now being exploited to justify the current Israeli attack on Gaza.

Late on Tuesday 4 November Israeli tanks entered central Gaza near Deir al_Balah and Khan Younis and the Maghazi refugee camps. The incursion lasted for three days and was supported by air strikes, which directly killed four Palestinians.

On the night the Israelis breached the ceasefire the rest of the world — including the media — was focused on the election victory of US-President elect Barrack Obama.

Israel was already in breach of the ceasefire — it had never honored its ceasefire commitment to lift its blockade of Gaza and open the checkpoints, refusing to allow into Gaza much-needed resources.

The Ma’an News Agency first reported the Israeli ceasefire breach on Wednesday 5 November. The blog From Occupied Palestine filed its first report on 5 November and added more details on 6 November. The Israeli incursion appears to have been ignored by mainstream western media agencies.

Ma’an reported the Israeli army claim it was searching for tunnels which had been dug to abduct Israeli soldiers. There was never a claim by the Israelis that the incursion was aimed at stopping rockets being fired into southern Israel.

All told seven fighters of the Hamas armed wing, the al_Qassam Brigades, were killed.

It is apparent from the local Ma’an and Occupied Palestine reports that the incursions led to rocket-firing from a plethora of militant organizations… with Hamas struggling to calm the situation and hold the ceasefire.

But within a week statements by Israeli prime minister Olmert emphasized the rockets, not Israel’s own incursion.gaza_women_01

Haaretz has reported: “Sources in the defense establishment said Defense Minister Ehud Barak instructed the Israel Defense Forces to prepare for the operation over six months ago, even as Israel was beginning to negotiate a ceasefire agreement with Hamas.”gaza_injured_01

It added: “The plan of action that was implemented in Operation Cast Lead remained only a blueprint until a month ago, when tensions soared after the IDF carried out an incursion into Gaza during the ceasefire to take out a tunnel which the army said was intended to facilitate an attack by Palestinian militants on IDF troops.”gaza_dead_01

The blog From Occupied Palestine, with love reported, “additionally, several other palestinians, including a woman, were injured. some of the injuries were sustained as Israeli tanks fired on civilians homes in the Deir al-Balah area, while others were injured as the results of missiles launched from Israeli war planes.

“These missiles struck in various areas in Deir al-Balah. during these operations, four Israeli occupation soldiers were reportedly injured.”

Palestinian anger at the incursion led to the firing of some 40 or more rockets into southern Israel.

Reports by the Gaza-based Ma’an News Agency show the large number of Palestinian militias and factions in the area that responded. A press release from al-Qassam dated 6 November emphasized: “Our commitment to the calm depends on the commitment of the enemy, the occupation must be aware that we did not agree on calm from a position of weakness, but we are able to return to the battle at any time.”

On the same day of that release an update on the Occupied Palestine blog reports, “while Hamas attempts to negotiate with other Palestinian factions, urging calm and a return to the ceasefire, Israel carried out additional air strikes killing one Palestinian fighter.”

Reading the various reports, particularly the day-to-day reports from the Ma’an News Agency, indicates at least five Palestinian factions — including a Fatah al-Aqsa brigade working in conjunction with an Islamic Jihad al-Quds unit — responded with rockets after the incursion… while Hamas struggled with coping with the aftermath of the attack and arguing to maintain the ceasefire.

It was the firing of these rockets in the days after Wednesday 5 November that seem to be referred to in a BBC report two weeks later. This reported a further Israeli incursion into southern Gaza, when bulldozers were used to destroy agricultural land to the east of Rafah. The BBC reported: “Israel says it has tightened its blockade of Gaza in response to recent rocket attacks by Palestinian militants, which have caused minor damage but no casualties.” It added: “At least 16 Palestinian militants have been killed in skirmishes with Israeli forces along the border in the past two weeks.”

On the night of Tuesday 4 November, From Occupied Palestine reported, “armored Israeli bulldozers demolished two Palestinian homes belonging to the al-Hamaydi family, in central Gaza’s al-Quarara neighborhood. Additionally, Israeli forces in this area seized at least seven Palestinians from the same family, including three women.”

The following day, the blog reports, a further Palestinian fighter was killed by a missile fired from an Israeli drone. “Israeli forces deployed unmanned aerial planes, also known as predator drones. these drones launched at least six missiles, three in northern Gaza, one in the al-Kukhari neighborhood in southern Gaza, and two in al-Qarara, east of Khan Younis.”

The Ma’an News agency reported three of the women were released after being “interrogated and assaulted for several hours”. A fourth woman, Hanin Al-Loh, remained in Beersheba hospital suffering from gunshot wounds to her back and legs.

The released women said Al-Loh was injured and left alone in the street bleeding for an hour before she and the others were abducted by Israeli soldiers. Two men, the husbands of the women detainees, were also abducted during the same raid.

On the Thursday, “Israel carried out a new type of ceasefire violation by directing live fire at Palestinian, Israeli and international solidarity activists engaging in an olive harvest.

“The harvesters were working inside the Gaza strip near the border fence with Israel. While working, Israeli occupation forces in several military jeeps arrived, and began firing. This was followed by live fire from an Israeli military watchtower. There were no injuries reported from the English, American, Italian, Israeli and Palestinians harvesters.”

Concurrent with this three-day incursion, the Israeli army bull-dozed four Palestinian homes in the Silwan district of Jerusalem. The week before the Israeli Navy had mounted a number of attacks on Gaza fishing boats.

It seems Israel’s latest assault on Gaza was actually launched in the first week of November.

Advertisements

7 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Brian said, on January 4, 2009 at 5:19 am

    The news that you are reporting is from a Palestinian news source. What do you think they are going to say?
    Hamas continues to send rockets into civilian sections of Israel. Truce means nothing to them. They live for the extinction of all Jews. You can’t talk to people who want you dead at any cost.

    • pifactory said, on January 4, 2009 at 7:41 am

      The article also quotes (and links to the original materials) from Haaretz, an Israeli government press release and the BBC in London. Palestinians have the right to express an opinion too about the invasion of their homes, do they not?

  2. Jinjirrie said, on January 4, 2009 at 7:09 am

    There are several other sources which confirm that Israel breached the ceasefire. You can find them on my blog – http://www.kadaitcha.com/2008/12/30/israel-on-twitter/

    Also http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery01022009.html

    I asked the Israeli Consulate in his global twitter conference that question and he lied. I have posted a comment at their blog with the url above, which is still sitting in their mod queue … http://www.israelpolitik.org/2009/01/03/why-has-israel-started-a-ground-operation-today/ – I also point out that Israel is not acting defensively.

    These are the three main objectives of the Gaza hasbara at present as I see them –

    (1) to cover up that the Israelis breached the ceasefire

    (2) to pretend, as usual, that Israel is acting in self defence by building fictitiously upon (1)
    debunked here http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts01022009.html

    (3) that if they keep harassing the people of Gaza (2) that somehow things will be better for Israelis and Palestinians.

    At the bottom of it I perceive are attempts to

    (1) Get Shalit home

    (2) To manoeuvre into power either a weakened, ‘controllable’ Hamas, or if not, Fatah back again. Either way, all they ever do is juggle and play the Palestinian leadership ensuring there is never anyone who can make a ‘proper peace partner’.

    (3) To play the conflict up for the gullible voters in the coming Israeli elections.

    (4) Perhaps they, along with Bush and his thugs are hoping to lure Iran into something before Bush is history in a couple of weeks.

    Thanks … have enjoyed what I’ve read here and will link ๐Ÿ™‚

    Cheers

    Jin

  3. Jinjirrie said, on January 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

    Another possibility to consider is that the homemade ‘rockets’ weren’t fired by Hamas at all, and were a false flag operation, a strategy known to be employed by Israel on many occasions in the past.

    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/172095-The-Butchering-Of-Gaza-Nazi-Germany-Revisited

  4. pifactory said, on January 4, 2009 at 8:09 pm

    The UK Observer’s reporter in Jerusalem today reports on On why Israel went to war in Gaza.

    He also talks of the efforts made by the Israelis to fight a war on two fronts, the second being the propaganda front:

    “After the debacle of its 2006 invasion of Lebanon – not only a military disaster for Israel, but also a political and diplomatic one – the government in Tel Aviv spent months laying the groundwork at home and abroad for the assault on Gaza with quiet but energetic lobbying of foreign administrations and diplomats, particularly in Europe and parts of the Arab world.

    “A new information directorate was established to influence the media, with some success. And when the attack began just over a week ago, a tide of diplomats, lobby groups, bloggers and other supporters of Israel were unleashed to hammer home a handful of carefully crafted core messages intended to ensure that Israel was seen as the victim, even as its bombardment killed more than 430 Palestinians over the past week, at least a third of them civilians or policemen.”

    it is interesting to note that he reports “the government in Tel Aviv spent months (my emphasis) laying the groundwork at home and abroad for the assault on Gaza with quiet but energetic lobbying.”

  5. G said, on January 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm

    Sorry guys, but playing devils advocates is nonsense.

    There were, few but still there were, rocket attacks in all (or all but one?) of the months of the ceasefire. I remember within days of the ceasefire a rocket was launched at Israel.

    So moving straight on to November as the starting point is predictable spin. Furthermore, to say it was ignored by the media is nonsense. I remember the November event being reported on! It just was not front page news with the US elections and world economic decline!

    Lastly, if they were digging tunnels, than it’s direct aggression. I don’t need to remind anyone that Gilad Shalit was kidnapped from Israel, by terrorists from the unoccupied Gaza strip, via a tunnel. Direct aggression from Palestinian terror groups is a form of breach, even if they have not killed anyone yet.

    And to try to portray Israel’s actions as a secret plan is nonsense. Every country always has military plans on how to deal with enemies! The fact that Israel planned is just obvious.

  6. Topsynonnip said, on February 9, 2009 at 5:50 pm

    Hi, cool site, good writing ๐Ÿ˜‰


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: